April 2011

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hello everyone. I am going to start out the discussion with the article below. This was sent out by Susan Brewster as a must read article. I happen to agree. (I'm new to this big bloggin' thing, so if I am breaking bloggin' rules or something just let me know.) Please read and comment. Share successes that were preceded by failures. How did failure facilitate success? etc.

I can't wait to see just how the Lord's hand has and is being manifest in our lives.

I love you all.

Dad


M E R I D I A N M A G A Z I N E

Failure is a Curious Subject
By Anne Perry
Failure may seem a curious subject with which to begin a letter which is supposed to be encouraging, even uplifting. I have been thinking about it quite a lot lately, partly because of having experienced some, when it was unexpected, and therefore hurt the more.
However there is much to be learned from failure. For a start, anyone who has never failed almost certainly has never tried anything that was beyond easy grasp. If they have achieved everything they have attempted, then they have never glimpsed a vision that has stretched them, fired the imagination and the heart until they are willing to exhaust themselves in an effort to make it real, to risk pain and disappointment rather than forfeit the dream.
And surely that is to be only half alive?
We did not come here to do what is easy, and certainly never, ever to choose only what is safe. Perhaps we need to remind ourselves more often of whose plan it was to ‘play it safe', and return whole, but without having grown.
It is dangerous to care. Those who love can be hurt. Safety requires you blunt your feelings, never leave yourself open to wounds or to loss, never try anything you are not certain of succeeding with, never play if you are not assured of winning before you stake anything on the outcome. Losing can hurt!
Never try anything difficult – failure hurts. It makes you feel bruised, aching and empty. You can be very much alone, and think you were a fool to try. It is hard to smile when you are the one who lost, and everybody is complimenting the winner.
It is easy to be graceful when you win. Can you be generous also? Can you remain humble and remember that the credit is not entirely yours? And do not forget what it feels like to lose. You might be the loser next time.
It is far harder to lose with grace, dignity, generosity of spirit, and above all the courage to try again, and risk losing again. Some great dreams take many attempts, and are not bought with any small price.
Failure tests the mettle of a person far more than aiming only for that which is within the grasp. If we are striving for something we want desperately, with a hunger that consumes from within, it tests also what our values are in ways we may not be prepared for.
What will you pay for your dreams? How sure are you that the price will always come from your reserves, and not those of somebody else also? How careful are you not to rob anyone if there is only one prize in this particular race?
But what are we without dreams, without aspirations to achieve something greater, create something more beautiful, more lasting, more use to others?
Without someone's dream and will to work and to dare, we would have none of the great works of art, literature, music, philosophy, none of the great inventions or discoveries. Genius never seeks for safety, it longs to fly, indeed it must fly. Bind it to the earth, cage it in the known, and it dies.
Have we not all within us something unique to envision and to create? And if it is the best we can possibly do, we will not get it right the first time.
What point would there be in a life whose achievements were all accomplished at the beginning? Then the rest would be downhill? Surely that would be a tragedy in the deepest sense of something terrible which did not need to have happened.
Yes, failure hurts, sometimes very much. But what could hurt as much as knowing that we had had the chance to climb to the stars, but we were afraid of the height, and so never tried?
Failure can teach humility. I return to the ‘Gideon Principle', as I have called it, for my own reference. When Gideon led the armies of the Israelites against an overpowering enemy, God commanded him to reduce his forces over and over again, until victory seemed completely impossible.
Why? So that when victory did come, Gideon and his men would never forget who gave it to them. They would not imagine it was their own, and their gratitude never fade.
A long time ago I received a blessing which warned me that no matter what success I might achieve, never to forget who gave me the talents I have.
Surely that must be true for all of us? If we have a talent - and we all have something - probably several things, it is a trust, a stewardship, and one which can be taken away as easily as it was given, if we abuse it, or imagine it is our own and will remain so, without obligation.
Failure also can teach courage, and that it is not so difficult to ask for help, or to accept it, or to be grateful for it - truly grateful, not just a matter of words. We should learn to acknowledge it openly, and never take credit which is not fully ours.
Yes, failure has many lessons. The need to be taught them more than once seems to be part of our nature. To resent this is worse still.
The greatest failure of all is to stick to the safe path, never dream, never dare, never aim high enough that the fall could hurt. If we were not once aiming for the very top, we would not have come into this life in the first place! We would have accepted the adversary's plan!
Don't let us lose the fire or the vision now. Pray hard, then fly upward!

3 comments:

rochelle said...

The experience that quickly came to mind was applying for nursing school. I applied early, probably before I was really ready, and I found out that I did not get into the program. I was pretty disappointed. I started questioning whether I was really good enough to be a nurse anyway. However, I felt that I should continue to try to get in the program. I was given some feedback on what I could do to improve my chances of getting in. I started making changes and working harder to get better grades. I had to retake some classes. All the while, I was hoping and praying that it would be enough. I had decided to work as hard as possible to get in the second time, but if I didn't get in, I was going to choose a difference major, which I wasn't thrilled about. Obviously, this story has a happy outcome; I was very excited when I made it into the program for the next semester. I particularly felt that I had received divine assistance getting in. I believe that being "rejected" the first time prepared me to be accepted when the time was right. It was really crucial for me to get in at the time that I did. I have realized since that getting in when I did has blessed me in so many ways. It helped me to get a job as a TA and also as a research assistant to one of my professors- a job that I had for 2 years, until I graduated. If I had got in any later, the position would have been filled before I even started nursing school. If I had gotten in the first time I applied, I wouldn't have been in the class I needed to be in to get the job. The professor that hired me was teaching a class that I was taking, and she knew me because of that class. She didn't teach that class after that, so that would've been my only chance to really interact with her. I had some wonderful opportunities from that job, and one of the reasons I have my current job is because I worked for this professor who is a well respected public health nurse. The timing of me going to school and graduating was also perfect for when I got pregnant and had Gabe. The timing was just right so that my sickest time was during a school break, and I started getting some energy back just as I started my last semester. Right after I graduated I reached the point where it became too difficult to work the 12 hour shifts. If I were graduating later, I would be figuring out working/ going to school with a newborn. If I had graduated a semester earlier, I would have had to really cut back on hours or quit when I started having health problems with the pregnancy. As it was, I had a really flexible, low stress job with a very understanding boss. I can trace so much of what I love about my current situation to the initial failure and the following success of applying to nursing school. I can definitely see the hand of the Lord in my life on that one. I could not have chosen the timing better, and I am so grateful it worked out the way it did.

BJ said...

After Rochelle's very long comment, I think mine will look all the shorter. To be honest, as I think back over my life, I don't really separate the failures from the successes. To me they are all part of the same learning process. Keep trying until you get it right. Of course, there are always guides and helps to get you there, but seldom has anything worked perfectly the first time. For example, when I was a young boy, I accidentally (I thought I was cleaning it) deleted the operating system off my parents first home computer. It's funny to think that's how I got my start in system administration. ;-)

Dad, Quin said...

Great comments R&BJ. You both hit the nail on the head.

As a young man, about 16 or 17, I took apart our families first boom box. It had stopped working and was going to be put out with the trash. I though that I might figure out how to make it work again and then put it in my truck and have a tape player (not standard equipment for a '63 chevy pickup). I took it apart, fiddled with a few components that I knew nothing about, and put it back together again. Well Lo! and Behold! it worked. I was so pleased with myself. I didn't have an adapter for the cigarette lighter in the truck but I had an adapter for a spot light that didn't work anymore. I decided to cut the lighter fitting off the end of the spot light adapter and splice it onto the power cord of the boom box. I was so smug and confident of my brilliance. When I plugged it in it powered right up - I'm a genius, I thought - until the smell of something burning was followed by a loud pop, and then the lonely silence. I knew nothing of capacitors and resistors and power ratings and the like. But I know more now. I was sorely disappointed that I couldn't listen to my Doobie Brothers tape in the truck, but I managed to make it through the trauma unmarred and a little bit smarter.

I have since taken many an apparatus apart, tapped on this, pounded on that, and more times than not, when I put it back together it works. When it doesn't I just say to myself, "well, failure to try is the only true failure. I am no worse of than I was at the beginning and I have gained experience."

I believe that this curiosity and experimentation set the foundation for my love of Veterinary Medicine. It also makes me a happy, but lousy, farmer. When there are no deadlines or impending need, I still enjoy and hour of time to myself, puttering in my messy shop, on some broken down piece of cra. . . uh . . equipment. I guess I'm just weird like that.