I wrote a couple of short "stories" for our Relief Society Enrichment "Chicken Soup for the 4th Ward Woman's Soul". I thought I would post them here just for kicks. :P
A testimony of tithing
I was starting my very first semester of college in a matter of days, and I was ready in so many ways. I had an apartment, I had my books, I was signed up for the classes I wanted, and I was excited to see what life on my own would be like. Yet one thing still remained- I hadn't yet found a job. I had used almost all my money to pay tuition for that first semester, and so it was crucial for me to find a job so that I could pay for groceries, and save enough money to pay the next semester's tuition. I had one good lead for a possible job, but when it didn't work out, I began to panic. My father listened patiently as I explained how worried I was, and had only one question for me- “Have you paid your tithing?” It hit me like a rock: I hadn't paid my tithing almost all summer! How could I have procrastinated paying my tithing? I quickly added up the amount I owed. Over $300, a fortune to me at the time. I had a choice; I could dip into my precious savings, already low, or I could rationalize that I would just have to pay my tithing later, when I had more money. I knew I had to pay my tithing. I felt that somehow I would be blessed. Acting in faith, I wrote out the check, and sent it in the mail to the bishop of my home ward, since I hadn't yet been to church in my new ward. I prayed, hard, that I would now be able to find some employment. The next day or so, as I was making my final preparations to begin life on my own, and my family was about to leave to go back home, we drove past the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum. My dad suggested that I walk in and see if they were hiring. I didn't want to; I had been checking the job boards, and there was nothing listed for the museum. I felt like it was a waste of time. However, I went in and talked to the Education Director who told me they did have a position they were hiring for. He quickly interviewed me and hired me on the spot. I walked out of the museum, feeling stunned. I hadn't expected such a direct and quick answer to my prayer, yet now I would be able to pay for the things I needed and save for the next semester. I had a strong feeling that I had been blessed because I had chosen to follow the commandment to pay tithing. I have had similar experiences over and over in my life since then, and I know that when we obey commandments, and act in faith we are blessed.
Primary Songs
I have always felt the spirit the strongest when I hear beautiful, inspiring music. Even as a teenager, at times unsure of my own testimony, I could identify the Holy Ghost being present when we sang hymns or listened to uplifting music. A few weeks after my son Gabriel was born, I was up with him late one night, exhausted and feeling a little sorry for myself. I began singing Primary songs softly to help him go to sleep. I sang “Pray, he is there; Speak, he is list'ning. You are His child; His love now surrounds you. He hears your prayer; He loves the children. Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heav'n.” I had a powerful witness that what I sang was true. I knew I was a child of God, and that my precious son was a child of God, and Heavenly Father was mindful of both of us. Tears poured down my cheeks and I couldn't continue singing. I felt so much love. Other primary songs and hymns have allowed the Spirit to bear witness to me of other principles of the gospel. D&C 25:12 reads “For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.” I truly feel that music is a blessing, and that inspiring music can invite the Holy Ghost and allow him to testify of God's love for us.
2 comments:
What wonderful stories; what powerful testimony builders. These are truly examples of the Lords tender mercies in our lives - there is no doubt. I didn't remember the tithing thing. Thanks Rochelle. I feel uplifted this morning. I love you.
Those are good stories my dear. I'm glad that you have recorded them. We are blessed in so many ways.
Post a Comment