A few days ago Rochelle suggested that we all write our testimonies of the Book of Mormon and she would format them and prepare them for Tayler to take on his mission. Tonight we took Rochelle's challenge made a wonderful family night of it. We sang the hymn "Testimony" and read the scriptures that compliment the hymn. Then we read out of Preach my Gospel about the Book of Mormon and how it needs to be the foundation of every testimony of the gospel and of Christ. We read that the way to dispel the concerns and distractions of investigators was to refer them back to the Book of Mormon. Its truth solidifies and unites all the truths of the restored gospel, ie. living prophets, revelation, priesthood, commandments, ordinances, etc. It's just that simple. So we wrote our testimonies and found them to all be a little different. The kids were hesitant to share theirs but we gently encouraged them and to our delight they each surprised us with their honesty, insight, and love for the Book of Mormon. The spirit was strong and we felt its power and the truth of what we were reading to each other. It came to me that different was good. I could see, in my minds eye, young Elder Christensen inserting Anna's pure, sweet, honest, growing testimony into a Book of Mormon as he hands it to an 11 year old girl with golden hair, just like her, and saying "this book is from my little sister, she's reading it and gaining her own testimony just like you will". I could see him hand one to a young man, just trying to find himself, using Collin's testimony to show how mature and sincere, grounded and obedient, happy and free a young man can be who loves truth and honors it. I could see a young woman, ready to take flight into life with all it's uncertainty, feeling peace and hope after reading Cara's testimony filled with secure confidence, sure direction, and pure love for God and His truths. And I could see Tayler bearing his own testimony to a father of teenagers with boldness, filled with his own experience and the power of his conviction. It was a sweet and moving experience.
So I will post my testimony here and invite all of you to do the same. I hope and pray that as you sing, study, ponder and pray, you will have as remarkable an experience as we have. Thanks for getting this started Rochelle.
I have read the Book of Mormon many times and know it to be the word of God. My first experience with the book was as a young man. I determined to discover its truth for myself by reading it from front to back. I had been reading and praying about it for weeks when I recognized that I had been having similar feelings the whole time. I knew of the promise found in Moroni 10:3-5 and I couldn’t wait to finish the book and put this promise to the test (see page 529). One Sunday I fasted all day while I finished reading the last pages. When I knelt to pray I was hoping for some sort of miraculous manifestation that would assure me of its authenticity and truth. But, God, in his wisdom, let me know of its truth and of His love for me in a much more subtle way. He gave me the same feelings that I had felt each time I had read from the pages -inner peace, calm assurance, joy, and a warm physical feeling that permeated my whole body. Then as I pondered He put these words in my mind – “You already know it’s true – you have felt it all along.” Those words sunk deep into my heart with such power that I knew God had answered my prayer. Since then I have read it many times. The same feelings reassure me every time. It has given my belief in Jesus Christ a deep and strong foundation. It has been the basis for my understanding of the nature of God and his compassion and love for His children. It has brought me peace in time of stress and trial, and has lifted my soul out of sorrow and sin. God truly revealed the Book of Mormon through his prophet, Joseph Smith. I know that without any doubt. It is another sure testament of the Savior, Jesus Christ, and its teaching will bless your life forever if you will seek to know them and their truths. I bear this solemn witness, in the name of my Redeemer, the son of God, even Jesus Christ, amen.
Quin Christensen
Sherwood, Oregon, USA
No comments:
Post a Comment