April 2011

Monday, December 7, 2009

Sacrament Meeting Talk

Good Morning Brothers and Sisters, I was asked to speak on the Young Men and Young Women’s mutual theme for this year, 1 Timothy 4:12. It says: Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. As we all know, the gospel teaches that not only do we need to believe its teachings, but also live its teachings. The Webster Dictionary definition of “Example” states: “Something selected to show the nature or character of the rest.” As sons and daughters of god, we truly are selected by Heavenly Father to be leaders and examples of the believers

“In charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.” Others can tell when we are keeping the commandments, even if they aren’t LDS. They can see that we are full of love and living worthy to receive and fulfill all that God has in store for us. We can show love through acts of service to those in need and having a positive attitude. We can be pure and faithful by living gospel standards even when temptations come to follow the crowd.

President N. Eldon Tanner once told this story:

“I was talking to a young man who is going to be baptized next month, the only member of his family to be baptized, and I said, ‘What caused you to be interested in the Church?’

“And he replied, ‘The young man I was associating with in school was a member of your church, and the way he lived interested me. He was different from the rest of the boys. He was happy, and he invited me to his home; and when I saw the love in that home and how that family lived, I was more interested. He took me to church, and then I joined the ball team, and I found in that church a different feeling than I had found any other place. Then that ball team, those fine fellows all keeping the Word of Wisdom and living good clean lives, impressed me, and I determined that I would join the Church’”

In For the Strength of Youth it explains how we can be examples in word and in conversation: "How you speak says much about who you are. Clean and intelligent language is evidence of a bright and wholesome mind. Use language that uplifts, encourages, and compliments others. Do not insult others or put them down, even in joking. Speak kindly and positively about others so you can fulfill the Lord’s commandment to love one another. When you use good language, you invite the Spirit to be with you." I know from personal experience that people in your group of friends and peers will notice when you choose to use good language, and will respect you greater for it. They will also recognize how happy you always are. You never know how much that example will influence the lives of your friends. The last line says: “When you use good language, you invite the spirit to be with you.” This will guide you throughout trials and help you continue to be a loving example to those around you.

Matthew says in chapter 5 verse 16: Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. It is important for everyone to see our good works. My brother Tayler and both my brother-in-laws are huge examples to me in my life. All of them have been called on missions and have shown to me the importance of missionary work. They have also shown me the blessings that come from perseverance through trials. Though very simple, being a good example to others is perhaps one of the most effective forms of missionary work.

I bear my testimony that I know this gospel is true and that Heavenly Father lives and cares for every one of us. I know that we have been selected for these last days to set the example for the world and raise the bar. It would be hard to share the gospel with others if we didn’t set an example and live what we believe. I’m grateful we are able to reach out and influence the lives of others through the way we choose to live.

1 comment:

rochelle said...

Thanks for posting, Collin. I enjoyed reading your talk.