April 2011

Sunday, November 16, 2008

CTR 5

Last week was the "Primary Sacrament Meeting Program". It went as well as they go, Anna beautifully sang the 1st line of "I Am A Child of God" as a solo-and did her spoken part just great. My class remembered their little lines, some, with a little prompting. All in all, it went well. Then came Sharing Time---cookies and Veggie Tales? Woe, did somebody miss the church curriculum guidelines somewhere? After that, my class pretty much climbed the walls. All my well intentioned preparations turned into "what might have beens", and as the door closed I thought "what just hit my class?" Poking, hitting, crying, tattling mixed with a few learning moments, and I felt like I went through the wringer! One little boy (Matthew) kept saying "poop" over and over, then for fun, he started gassing and aiming his little bum at people. I had him sit in a chair removed from the class game we were playing on the floor. As parents came to pick up their kids, I just had to share some of the antics of the day. I went home and put my feet up, and didn't look at the manuel again until 8:00 the next Saturday night.

As I prepared, I prayed that I would have an increase of love for my class, and that I would know how to teach them so they would learn and respond appropriately. I prayed to find something in the lesson that would really teach them. Sharing Time went very well. I think a lot of other prayers were being answered too, as our president and a councelor were gone. I pulled out my checklist/report card for my 2 "active" kids. I had them put their names on them, and began checking off the good things they did--and they really did great. Amazing! During sharing time they were asked to raise their hands and name things that they were thankful for. I looked at Matthew, his face all concerned, he looked like he wanted to participate, so I said "raise your hand, say what your're thankful for!" He responded, worry on his face "but it's a potty word!" I said, "okay, think of something else and say that" So he did, and all was well! Thank goodness for parents who care, and prep their kid for church!

In class today, things went much better. Everyone responded positively to each little story, activity and song. Our lesson was on forgiveness, and inconjuction with the stories we talked about, we compared the sour taste of pickles and the sweet taste of pineapple and apples to the sour and sweet feelings we feel when we don't forgive or we forgive. Of course we tried the pickles and fruit, and needless to say that was a big hit. I noticed the 2 boys who were so cranky with each other last week, hugging eachother. I told them that they were a good example of forgiveness, and they were happy and proud of that. I felt gratitude for the love I felt for each child, and also for how easy they are to forgive after giving me such a work out last week! Truly it is a joy to teach children, and it is a joy to feel the love of the Savior for them--and for me. I'm grateful for my calling, for the creativity it affords me, for the love I feel all around me, and for the opportunity to give the children an experience at church where they learn and feel loved. Grown ups can learn so much in Primary!

3 comments:

Dad, Quin said...

You rock babe. You are my hero. The only reason we have good kids is because you wouldn't let them fight or use potty words like bum and poop. (wait a minute.....didn't you just...)

Unknown said...

Wow, Mom, this is amazing! What a contrast! You are my hero too! I truly admire you for your loving patience with those children. I know I will always look to you as an example as I raise and teach my own children.

rochelle said...

Very inspirational story. I had a better experience with my class this week after praying for help and for the spirit. Of course, there were only 2 kids by the time we went to class. >sigh< I know grown- ups can learn things in Primary... I would say this has happened for me especially through the Primary songs. I do have a hard time feeling like I make much of a difference to those Sunbeams. I really try my best, but sometimes the only response I seem to get is "It's HARD to be reverent!!" But if you can get your rowdy kids to feel the spirit, maybe I can too.