April 2011

Sunday, November 9, 2008

The End of an Era







This past Thursday an era-a generation of trees ended. Although we support, need and admire the logging industry, when it hits close to home, our perception changes. We have enjoyed the tall majestic forest next to our property for years. We've hiked and run the trails. We have retreated to our sacred grove--reading, studying, praying and discussing the gospel. We have sat in awe as we have pondered the height, and depth of the forest. We've listened to the breeze rustle the branches, as the ancients seem to have conversations of their own. Now our view has changed. The gateway to our forest is now a gateway to a wide and open sky. There are a few trees standing-lonely, stately, old. They will blow unprotected by brothers, providing a perch for birds, and a spot for the eye to rest, and remember.

2 comments:

rochelle said...

I'm so sad about this. I realize that it was going to happen sooner or later, but I am going to miss those beautiful trees.

Unknown said...

This makes me want to cry! I will miss seeing that beautiful forest - so many wonderful memories are attached to it.