April 2011

Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Powerful Witness of Paradise

October 31, 2013


While running on the treadmill this morning I was listening to some of the most recent conference talks.  I had just listened to Elder Dykes speak about healing through the atonement, and then to Elder Holland’s masterful address on dealing with emotional and mental infirmities.  I was moved by both of these talks and found myself reflecting on one of Elder Holland’s closing statements.  He said, 



I pondered that statement as my eyes fell on the picture we have hanging on the adjacent wall - a pastel of Jesus with children surrounding him as he holds the cherubic face of one little girl in his hands.


I was considering all those I love who have been, or will be, freed by the atonement of Christ.  Then, as if planted in my mind, the thought came clear and sweet  -  “I wonder if mom has seen Jesus.”  Then, out of no where, came the thought  -  “I wonder if she has bathed His feet with her tears.” As soon as that last thought caught hold in my mind I had a brief glimpse of my mother, freed  from the crumpled mortal body she left behind, kneeling at His feet, weeping for joy.  Concurrently a very deep emotion welled up with in me and I could not continue on the treadmill.  I quickly hit the stop button and left the still moving belt as the emotion turned to deep sobbing.  I fell to me knees and began to pray, thanking God for His tender mercy in allowing me to feel His love in such a personal and comforting way.  I thanked him for this confirming testimony of the reality of paradise, and the clear witness that my mother was there in the presence of the Savior.  


Each time I thought of it, that day and since, a powerful warmth has filled me, assuring me that the experience was real and from God.  I don’t know why the Lord has blessed me so but I am so grateful for His love and compassion. 

No comments: