April 2011

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Video Games: The Bane of Chivalry

I was recently severely disappointed by my roommates. Most of the semester, we've had an Old N64 that we play the original Super Smash Brothers on, and have a ton of fun on. We can enjoy it because its competitive, and the games are short. We invite other people over to play with us, and they enjoy themselves too. It's always been fun. But recently one of my roommates bought an Xbox 360 and along with the game "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III" its a first person shooter game, which basically means your character walks around with a gun and shoots people. Now, ordinarily I tolerate these games, though rarely have it in me to play them, much less enjoy them. However, it seems that pretty much all of my roommates have become obsessed with the game, and I rarely hear silence anymore. Just gun fire all day. Now, this is a light annoyance, my room is at the back, and if I shut my door, its no worries. However. Last weekend, My girlfriend Heather had her 19th birthday. Now, I largely stayed out of the picture until later that night, and did homework. But she celebrated with my 2 FHE sisters Brianne and Jessica, and they decided to go to Costa Vida for lunch, which by the way is about a mile and a half from where they live, and it was no warmer than 28 degrees outside, not including wind chill. So walk there, and on the way back, decide the wind is blowing too hard, and its too cold, so they call their FHE brothers that have cars to come pick them up.
Now, if they had called me, I could have gotten Tiffany, who I was with to go get them, and I would have done everything I could to make sure they didnt walk home in that kind of weather, because walking more than 10 feet in it is nigh on a death wish. So those roommates of mine (bless their hearts) basically told them to get stuffed, they were playing call of duty, and they couldn't come get them. it would have been a 5 minute trip, tops. 5 minutes! My FHE sister Brianne was livid! she has been hurt by 2 of my roommates already, is in that mode where she needs someone she can trust in her life, and depend on, and the people she thought were it, baled on her! When I found out, I was livid too! i wanted to punch something or someONE!
This little experience left me with a few conclusions: First, I am so grateful yet again that mom and dad never let me have a game system. Second, I plan on doing exactly that with my kids. Third, I will never dishonor my priesthood or the sanctity of womanhood for the lusts of the mind and the flesh. Fourth, I want, and WILL renew my efforts to be chivalrous toward ALL women, no matter who they are, but especially to those I have a responsibility to look out for. I refuse to let Virtual games rule my life, and define me.

No comments: