April 2011

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Proud to be the Dad, Two Nights in a Row

Last night we were at the National Honor Society induction Ceremony at the High School where 70 some odd kids were inducted, including Collin.  As the baby pictures and stories of each of these stellar young people were presented I felt that I was witnessing a singular event.  These young people were some of the choicest of Father in Heaven's children.  There seemed to be an unspoken camaraderie among them.  They represented the the best of Sherwood families and youth.  As I listened to how the fathers and mothers described and wrote about their children I felt deep respect and appreciation for good parents who teach their children to do good things and be good people -- to serve and excel.  In the past, my attitude at these kind of events, although supportive, has been less than enthusiastic.  Not really my finest moments, although I have loved every minute of watching my children achieve.  But last night I think I kind of grew up a little.  I enjoyed the whole thing, and I think I caught just a tiny glimmer of the joy felt by the Father of us all.  Collin made that possible for me.  Thanks Collin.

Tonight was the opening of the play mom and Anna have been so involved with for the last two and a half months.  Anna played Cinderella in the junior musical "Into the Woods".  It was amazing.  Anna sang like a bird and was such a great little actress.  It warmed my heart to see all these youth (from 9 -16yrs old) in the unison of song and story, most of them performing for the first time, wowing the audience with their timing and tone.   I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and Anna made that possible for me.  Thanks Anna.

  I saw the costumes for the trees that mom whipped out this afternoon, on a whim, because the costume person got overwhelmed.  They were amazing.  I'll let her tell the story of how that all came down on one of the busiest days of her life (two youth choir rehearsals followed by the play prep and performance, then off the Sherwood Chorale rehearsal until after 10pm tonight).   Someone upstairs is totally on her side.  In fact I think she has a whole organization up there (probably called "Angels for the Performing Arts") that just try to keep up with all the hearts that need to be opened, and the problems that need to be solved, and the lives that need to be blessed by her undaunted approach to giving the gift of "joy through performance" to this community.  Mom makes so many things possible for all of us.  Thanks Mom.

I am in awe at the gifts I have been given.  My family is everything to me and you all are the source of my greatest joy.  My Father in Heaven made that possible for me, and I thank Him!

1 comment:

rochelle said...

So awesome. I wish I could have been there! I love "Angels for the Performing Arts".