Hello family,
Nobody has posted on here for awhile, so I thought I would write something (this time something of substance, on my part).
Richard and I have been listening to that set of CD's called "For All Eternity" by John Lund, where he talks about all kinds of different ways to strengthen your marriage, and improve communication. We have really enjoyed listening to it off and on (we're on the last CD now) and have implemented a few of the things he has suggested, and also have a few running jokes because of it (for those of you who have listened, AKA Mom and Dad, things like, "Now I KNOW you love me because you guessed that I was wanting a drink of your water...").
Anyway, one thing that we have started doing (as Dr. Lund suggests) is we have a pad of paper sitting on the counter in the kitchen, with the title of: "Why I am grateful for you today" We try to remember to write in it on a regular basis, and it has been a really good experience. Not necessarily because I get to recieve compliments from Richard (although that is nice), but because it gives me a chance to stop and think about the things that he has done for me that day, and to acknowledge them both in my mind, and on paper. I think its safe to say that my love and appreciation for Richard has grown quite a bit because of this excercise.
Now, Richard tells me that "anytime you teach something, you end with an invitation to act." So, I'm going to apply that now. I challenge you all (that includes siblings too!) to try this idea - keep a pad or notebook of paper out where you will see it and remember to write in it. Try to think of at least one thing each day (or at least a couple times a week - it doesn't have to be rigid) to write down. Its not hard, and it only takes a minute! More importantly, pay attention to the things people do for you. Your whole way of thinking about others will change for the better, when you are looking for the good.
Sherwood family: you don't have to write something for each person, just one at a time, but of course you can do more than that if you want! (mom and dad - you could still try to do a separate one for just the two of you if you wanted...not an assignment, just an idea)
Tayler: I know you're not necessarily with "loved ones" right now, but maybe you could try this with your roommates anyways - get them in on it if you can. Look for the things you appreciate about each other - maybe that will build some unity, and give some positive reinforcement/encouragement to do the things you appreciate more frequently. :)
My disclaimer: I don't mean to preach, you aren't sinners if you don't do this! I just thought it was a really great thing, and you would benefit from it if you try it!
I love you all! Tell me what you think!
2 comments:
I think the notebook is a good idea. We can put one on our desk, and give it a whirl. It would be a nice extension of the "Happy Book" that we started a few years back.
I'm glad you are listening to the entertaining "For All Eternity" CD set. It's a good one to review periodically too.
It's so hard think of something nice every dayyaa! Do we have to?
Post a Comment