April 2011

Friday, October 17, 2008

Reflections on A Happy Birthday--Happy Life

My Birthday was a "Happy Birthday." I'm glad to be 46 years and counting. I really don't mind getting older--yet. I don't feel like I'm falling apart-like I did when I turned 40. I guess I've come to terms with bifocals, and other signs of aging that I've experienced--but they are so minor because my quality of life is great. I have a wonderful family, and looking back on my life, I have lived a charmed life. I have great health, and I'm glad to say that I took up running at age 43, and I'm in pretty good shape! Mostly, I'm so grateful for a wonderful husband and wonderful children.

My husband is my biggest fan, best friend, and perfect match for me. He makes me feel good about what I do. He knows what I love, and supports me in doing what I love. He has provided a very comfortable life, allowing us to be a one income family. We've worked well together over the years to raise some great kids, and I'm so glad that I've been able to see it all happen first hand, and not through the eyes of a full time babysitter.

My children bring me such joy. Watching them grow and develop; watching their lives unfold; being part of the plan to teach them, mold and guide them--these are things that make me thank the Lord for the blessing of being a mother. There have certainly been challenges, heartaches and pain over the years, but all of these things are what have refined and taught me. I'm grateful for every aspect of life that I have been given that has drawn me closer to the Savior, and smoothed and shaped me. I never knew that motherhood would change me and mold me and stretch me so very much.

I like who I am today, because of what I have become as a result of being a wife, a mother, and everything else I've tried my hand at. I never would have learned to cut hair, cook, sew, can, garden, make corsages, run, and more--with out the incentive of having children or a husband. Yes, life is good. I had a Happy Birthday yesterday, I have a Happy Life today.

4 comments:

Dad, Quin said...

Dear Sweetheart,
As I give thanks for your birthday I realize that your are the reason I do anything and everything. I can't imagine a life with out your goodness and warmth and love and support. Our beautiful and wonderful children, our unified faith, our mutual love of God and of each other, the joy of running together, being vibrant and free and in the midst of God's beautiful creations -- these are gifts you give me every day and they are the foundation of the peace and joy that make my life so full. I love you more than I can express.

Quin

Unknown said...

Mom and Dad, you are both an inspiration and example to me in my marriage. I have always admired your relationship - the way you vocally and openly express your love for each other in your words and actions. Richard and I have talked about our goals for now and the future, and we both recognize the importance for our kids to see how much we love each other. I am grateful for your loving relationship, it has given me a stable foundation as a child, and even now as an adult. I love you both, and am so grateful for your examples to me.

rochelle said...

mom, i am glad you had a good birthday. i appreciated reading your post. well- written. i echo the things marissa said, and i am grateful for your talents that have blessed our family. i love you!

Tayler said...

MOM! Its taken me forever to actually read that post, but i finally did, and i just have to say that I am so glad to have been blessed to have you as my mommy. Life would not be what it is today without you. To Echo what Both Marissa and Rochelle said, I definitely look up to you and Dad as my role models to how I want to live my life, and how I want my Marriage to work. You Two have taught me some very valuable lessons for which i could never repay you. I love you so much Mom!