April 2011

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Elder Tayler Christensen Enters the MTC

I have had several people ask me how it went at the MTC with Tayler this week. It seems they want to compare their experience or what they have heard about it with ours. But these experiences are all individual and personal. They are what they are. For me, it was sweet and joyful. Parting with your son is no picnic, don't get me wrong, but putting him in the hands of Lord to serve, and grow, and learn makes it very sacred and special. It is especially significant when you realize that his very life has been preserved and prepared by the call to serve its self.

Just last week I was talking with a long time client as I vaccinated her dogs. She asked about my family and I retold the the whole mission/open heart surgery thing to her. When I was done she said "That call saved his life - someone is watching over him"! The spirit came into that tiny room and bore witness of that truth. Even to those not of our faith the miracle is obvious.

Do I know God knows me and my son? Absolutely! And here is just one way I know it - He used the skilled hands of surgeon, a human, to repair Tayler's physical heart, but it was His miraculous handy work that opened, enlarged, and changed Tayler's heart and soul. So when I am asked, "was it hard to leave your son at the MTC?", I just smile and say, "it was a joy".

Did I cry? Like a baby! Was it because I will be separated from my son for 2 years? Not at all! It was for joy and gratitude. I was for the love of my wonderful son. It was for the deep devotion and sincere love for Heavenly Father and his son that was so evident in Tayler's eyes. It was for the miracle of a young man entering in to the service of his God "whole heartedly" (pun intended)! It was for the strong feelings that passed between us as we embraced that last time. Feelings that cannot be easily described . Feelings that carried understanding gained from a long journey together, appreciation for the tender mercies manifest in both our lives, devotion to the God we both love, desire to be His servants, and commitment to His cause. In essence they were feelings that can only be summed up as the "unity of discipleship". I could ask for no greater gift than that. I know what my mission did for me and I am confident the Lord has great things in store for Tayler.
What a journey.
What a strong young man.
What a fine son.


No comments: